Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Growing Things

Just the sight of a growing garden is healing and nourishing for us worn out Kaliyugites. My earliest memories include wandering around my grandfather's garden. He even gave me a bunny for a pet that he'd caught nibbling in it. My father, too, and sister and brother are all successful gardeners, but the genetic code seems to have stopped there. Oddly, although I passionately just love, love, love even the idea of gardening and all that's involved, I don't think I have much of a green thumb (yet), mostly because my life has just been too busy in other areas.

However, there were a couple of times, I'm glad to say, that I actually did get to tend a real garden. I have to thank my older son who, as a child, loved starting a little garden of his own, and then I'd be the one who ended up taking care of it afterwards. ;) It is something, therefore, I truly hope to continue and find more time for. Besides, home cooking and a home garden just seem to be a natural combination.  I've also dreamed of living on a devotee farm someday (if only my husband thought this way, too). In the meantime, here are some thoughts and some things I've been learning about gradually or want to learn more about:

ALWAYS GROW SOMETHING
Whether indoors or out, I try to always grow something, even if it's just a few sunflowers or some beans, there's always been something to learn from each experience.

It's been suggested for new gardeners to start with these and other easy to grow items such as marigolds, cucumbers, okra, karela and peas.

STARTING FROM SEED
This is to get a jump on the season and requires ample lighting indoors, or other protected arrangement outside such as cold boxes. Some plants, however, do not fare well as transplants, and therefore require waiting for the proper time to plant directly in the ground. Other plants don't mind the cold and can be started outside.

PLANT REQUIREMENTS
Other things one must learn when growing a particular plant is how much water and sunlight is desirable or the kind of soil is prefers growing in, for best results.

HARDENING OFF
I did this a few times successfully. It means gradually toughening up indoor plants that started from seed indoors or were brought home from a nursery. That's so they'll be able to live outdoors. It is recommended to begin with one hour setting the plants outdoors during the first day. Then two hours the second day, three hours the third and so on, until they can be safely transplanted.

COMPOSTING
I have been composting quite a bit, from both home and temple kitchen scraps. I posted information how I am going about composting: click here

WATERING
I didn't think there was much to watering, but actually it's a pretty important subject when it comes to plants. One of the best books I read on the subject was "Square Foot Gardening". With a small garden the author suggests watering each plant individually with measured amounts. Just fill up a milk jug and pour directly above the roots, very close to the ground. This method saves water and deters weeds from developing in between plants. Also, the more soaked the ground is, the more time can go by before one needs to water again. One of the gardens I mentioned above was done following the author's suggestions and with great results. I had loads of marigolds to offer to Radha Kalachandji at that time, all started from seed.

Also, when seedlings are established, soil can be allowed to become a little dry between waterings to allow air to get in. It also gets the roots going deeper to seek out moisture.

Collect rainwater. I just put buckets out, but would love some big rain barrels.

Plants love rainwater! I noticed this, how a garden just flourishes after each rain. So don't forget your houseplants love rainwater, too. I just set them outside when the weather is favorable and let them soak it up. You'll see dramatic changes overnight. But don't forget about them if there is a deluge! They cannot take as much watering as the plants in the ground.

PLANT DOCTORING
Bugs can be the biggest battle. I've dealt with aphids, cutworms and leafhoppers. A good gardening book or the Internet has suggestions how to handles each situation. There are many safe and sometimes even kind ways to deal with them. If there are slugs, for example,use orange peels to attract them and then toss in a new location.

If there are no bugs, but the leaves are turning brown, then the plant may be burned, either by too much fertilizer or to much sun.

If the leaves are yellow, the plant may need more light, better drainage, or more iron to correct its anemia.

If many leaves fall without replacement, most plants need more light or water.

These are just general suggestions. A bonus is that the more one is around and experienced with plants, the more one will become sensitive to their needs.

PRUNING ROSE BUSHES
I found some advice from passersby and online along with videos and a borrowed a pruning tool that looks like this:
I couldn't get anything smaller, but actually this worked best because it kept my hands away from the thorns. Soon they were making lots of new leaves.


MAKING MULCH
Mulch is good to tame surrounding weeds and to retain moisture in the soil. I utilized some pine needles because they were freely available by the buckets full, and also because I've heard that roses like slightly acid soil, and I figure pine needles are acidic. I got good results:

It is said that roses love banana peels. I put a few around each bush face down before covering with the mulch. More suggestions can be found here.

The fun part was happily offering them to the Deities and placing sweetly scented petals on Their beds before They rest each day.

CUTTINGS
Plant cuttings are a special way to multiply certain house or yard plants. Expect best results in spring and midsummer, when plants are most energetic. Make many cuttings; they like to root with a friend. Cut 2-4” stems. Slice just below the node, a growth point that looks like a bump or find a spot where two stems connect- like a small stem growing off of a larger stem. Carefully slice along the area where both stems join. The lower leaves may be removed. Place the cutting’s stem into jar of water. It may take a week or so to sprout roots. I do the cuttings on a full moon. By the next new moon, a good time to plant, there should be root hairs visible on the stems.

Mint cuttings are especially easy for starters. I rescued these two from a small patch where people were parking their bikes on them.

Mint is said to be "invasive". Ridiculous if you love offering Krsna mint chutney or using mint scented water when cleaning house.

THRIFTY GARDENING AND RECYCLING IDEAS
Brown paper bags can be rolled up and folded in at the bottom to make biodegradable starting pots. Put pots close together for support inside the bottom part of milk jugs or styrofoam dish that acts as trays. Roll the pots rather thick so they'll hold together long enough for seedlings to get started. Plant in the garden as is, pot and all.

Cardboard tubes can be cut to size and use these to protect new seedlings from cutworms.

Save broken clay pots, (lead free) dishes and mugs. Break these down into broken bits. Place inside the bottom of pots for drainage. Old mismatched dishes can also go underneath plant pots to catch the drips.

Save soda or water bottles. Cut in half, they make two hot caps for small seedlings put out in early spring. Punch holes in the bottom half for air. They also protect from nibbling critters. But these should be big enough that the plant's leaves do not touch the sides or it will burn them when its cold out.

Here's a great way to reuse tin cans:


But I confess here that sometimes potted plants and starting seeds in containers are a hassle. I prefer direct seeding in the ground whenever possible to save time and energy.

PUTTING A GARDEN TO REST FOR THE WINTER
1. Pull up old plants and compost them (unless they are perennials)
2. Rake the soil smooth
3. Plant ground cover such as winter rye. Or allow the weeds and just turn them over to decompose and fertilize the soil a few weeks before planting again. Weeds are natures way of protecting soil from erosion until one is ready to plant again

MORE STUFF TO TRY Here's my list I'm currently playing around with:
Planting cool weather crops- broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce...
Pinching back a plant. This causes it to grow bushier instead of taller.
Saving seeds instead of buying more.
Container gardening and window boxes.
Making my own potting soil.
Deadheading spent blooms to encourage continued flower production.

That's it for now. I just feel my blog would not be complete without mentioning at least something about the interesting world of gardening.

UPDATE
The garden I am currently involved in is mostly containers with baby's breath, peas, spinach from the spring garden moving into summer with radishes, beans, hot chilies, marigolds, starbursts and sunflowers springing up. Potatoes and tomatoes automatically grew from my compost piles and got transplanted. Pots of mint from cuttings. Actually, my entire garden cost nothing so far except for watering, which was minimal thanks to the rain barrel. The soil was from the yard mixed with home made compost and manure from  a neighbor. Pots I found got cleaned thoroughly and sterilized with boiling hot water. I also made containers with large milk crates gained via the temple kitchen delivery, lined with plastic packaging material.