Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Ar Koto Kal?

"After How Much Time?" by Mira Bhai

(refrain)
ar koto kal, giridhari-lal
arale arale robe

ar -- after; koto kal -- how much time;
giridhari-lal -- the darling holder of Govardhan Hill;
arale arale -- I remain waiting; robe -- I will stay here.

After how long will I see You, O darling Girdhari-lal?
Until then I will simply remain here, waiting and waiting!

1.
nayaneri jal jhore abirol
darasana pabo kabe
arale arale robe

nayaneri -- from my eyes; jal jhore -- tears flow; abirol -- incessantly;
darasana -- the vision; pabo kabe -- when will I attain?; arale arale -- I remain waiting; robe -- I will stay here.

Tears are flowing incessantly from my eyes... O when will I attain Your vision? -- Until then I will simply remain here, waiting and waiting!

2.
tomar carana prabhu niyechi sarana
pujar kusum sama ei tanu mana
akul amar ei maram meri asa
tabe ki biphale jabe
arale arale robe

tomar carana -- Your feet; prabhu -- O Lord!; niyechi sarana -- I have taken shelter; pujar -- of worship; kusum sama -- equal to flowers; ei -- this; tanu mana -- body and mind; akul -- eager; amar -- my; ei maram -- this heart; meri asa -- my aspirations; tabe ki -- then why; biphale jabe -- will go unfulfilled; arale arale -- I remain waiting; robe -- I will stay here.

O Lord, I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet.
In Your worship I offer my body and mind as flowers.
My heart is fervent with these aspirations... Will they go unfulfilled? -- Until then I will simply remain here, waiting and waiting!

3.
dekha jadi nahi dibe aganir doya
tabe keno dile asa bhoriya hrdoy
mirar parane tomari kamana
darasana pabo kabe
arale arale robe

dekha -- a glimpse; jadi -- if; nahi dibe -- You will not give; aganir doya -- limitless mercy; tabe keno -- then why; dile asa -- have You given me this desire; bhoriya hrdoy -- filling the heart; mirar parane -- O life and soul of Mira!; tomari -- Your; kamana -- desire; darasana -- vision; pabo kabe -- how will I achieve?; arale arale -- I remain waiting; robe -- I will stay here.

If You will not give me a glimpse of Yourself out of limitless mercy,
then why have You given me this desire that completely fills my heart?
O life and soul of Mira! My desire is only for You! O when will I ever attain Your vision? --Until then I will simply remain here, waiting and waiting!