Pages

Monday, April 23, 2018

Timesavers, Part II (Using Electronics)

I wrote some favorite timesavers many posts ago. Here's part two about using electronics:

 First of all, my computer and and iphone are very Krishna conscious. They have links to so many awesome Krishna conscious web pages and videos and lectures and so on to view and or listen to. It's especially fun to look up information about our Vaisnava acaryas on holy days, visit holy places you are curious about or take in a devotional video now and then (I got to see the entire awesome latest Mahabharata serial on YouTube with special effects before someone took it all off as a copyright violation!) And then there is all of Srila Prabhupada's books in audio to listen to while working.

Also electronics are so helpful in keeping organized, communicating and sharing with others, finding information and ideas and likeminded people and so on. I had many opportunities, for example, to share Krishna consciousness with others, such as an Open Diary many years ago before that got closed (It was better than AOL chat rooms because I actually got banned from there for distributing Prabhupada's book links).

But sometimes I get a little carried away reading all kinds of stuff. I mean, it's like having an entire library in your home! Or an art gallery! Any nerd will understand. But then I get so mad at myself forgetting about everything else.


So over the years, I came up with a few ideas to try and control my reading and writing and info addiction.

SET A TIMER
I decide beforehand how much time I need, and then when the timer goes off, I know I must get off and at least take a break long enough to realize I have other things to do. A timer also works well for focused japa, house cleaning and so many other things I need help with to stay on track.

ASK A HUMAN BEING
I try to ask a human being what information I am seeking rather than Google, but honestly, it's can be hard to find people that are knowledgeable enough in the area of interest I am seeking. Not exactly a timesaver. On the other hand, I've experienced online that no matter what the topic, there are so many opposing opinions you don't know what to believe except what we hear from guru and sastra and sadhu. In that case, everything else is becoming a waste of time.

ASK SOMEONE ONLINE
Asking for assistance online whenever it is available is a good idea. Such as when you visit a website looking for something and they have live help.

HIDE IT. OR AT LEAST COVER IT. OR LEAVE IT BEHIND
I've covered my computer or packed it up for the closet a few times. Out of sight, out of mind. I especially like when I am traveling and forget about going online for a stretch.

MAKE A NOTE
If a burning desire to look something up takes place, jot a note and then do the info search at a designated time.

POST IT
I made a list of exactly what stuff I will use each electronic device for. And when. For example, using my phone for info and texting and calls only and using the computer for blogging. Texting I wanted to reserve for weekends. So far, this idea hasn't worked.

SHOP LOCALLY RATHER THAN ONLINE
This is something I can do lately because I'm in a super crowded city with every store I need at walking distance. This is similar to the "Ask a Human" idea. It is more personal and store clerks are there to get things quickly rather than searching for something online without help.  And you get to see what you are buying rather than it being like a blind date, not knowing what exactly will show up at you door via the delivery service.

USE WHAT YOU KNOW AND HAVE ALREADY
It occured to me a few times that greed can be at the heart of impulsive, unregulated computer usage. Not often thought about like lust or anger, but greed can be a big obstacle for westerners in our pursuit of Krishna consciousness. Otherwise, why do we keep searching for that perfect bedspread when we have a few nice ones already? Perhaps from drooling over hundreds of pictures full of beautiful home décor? But then when you get it, you are still not satisfied and want something else. And greed isn't just about stuff, either. The greed to know more and more and more about stuff you'll forget about in just a few hours. And who wants to be a know-it-all anyway?

PRIORITIES FIRST
I've tried this many times, to do what is important before doing anything online. Problem is, when I tend to regular business, I find I have so much to do I rarely get around to doing anything else! Such as blog writing.

UNPLUG. REGULARLY.
I can barely remember life without electronics. All I know is that I did live that way in the past. So I've tried different things. To. Just. Stay. Off. About the only times I was successful, I had taken a vow before witnesses to stay off a week or so. When you tell others your decision to stay off for a time, you'll be embarrassed if you cannot stick to it.

I can't even describe the thoughts and feelings that took place during those times I successfully stayed off this way. It was like life suddenly slowed down. I didn't feel rushed. It felt almost crazy. Or like I was cheating.  But so far I haven't been able to do this regularly.

FIND ALTERNATIVES
Go the old fashioned route of using a notebook, writing letters instead of email and using a calendar, address book, a timer, a clock and so many other things computers and phone do for us nowadays. This is generally not a timesaver, but it may be if it saves time from being tempted to stay on a device too long. 

As a side note, here are
MORE BENEFITS experienced when unplugged, besides saving time:
  • You will have more time for what really matters. More time for the people around you.
  • You can get more things done and get better at the things you do.
  • There is less nonsense to read that agitates the mind such as politics and frivolous stuff. In this case, ignorance is indeed bliss.
  • If you do find someone knowledgeable, you can watch how they do something personally rather than watch on YouTube. And then you can get any questions answered right away.
  • You will set a good example for your children, that it's possible to live without electronics. Of course, you need to have plenty of better things to do, so you won't miss it so much. If needed, make your list of alternatives and goals.
  • Lot's of times you'll find it better to take a nap than go online. You'll do everything better in the long run by making sure to get sufficient sleep.
  • Excess use of electronics is verified by Ayurvedic people to disturb vata and disturbed vata can lead to a host of problems, not just sleeplessness. Things like memory loss, dizziness, blurry vision, anxiety and headaches. You'll be healthier and have better eyesight staying off.
  • And life gets simpler with less vibrations, opinions, ideas and other stimulation.