Pages

Friday, April 13, 2018

Learning verses. And the Sanskrit



During an especially difficult phase of life some years ago, I started chanting Narasimha kavacha every night and was amazed in the morning that I was starting to remember much of it, so I thought why not try to learn some Bhagavad gita verses? So I decided to try and study the Sanskrit word for word transliteration more carefully and some how or other ended up learning the devanagari script, too. There is a saying, "To write is to remember." Funny, because not long before that Sanskrit just looked too scary, and so I never considered even trying to learn any of it besides what I would hear over and over in classes and reading and therefore mostly ignored it. But with the help of  Paramatma, of course, and then Youtube on how to write the letters and combinations, and especially by studying the letters and the pronunciation key in the back of the Bhagavad gita As It Is, and then simply copying the verses one by one, I now can read the verses without the help of the English transliteration. But what is especially nice is seeing how studying the Sanskrit helps in not only remembering things better, but also in understanding the meaning of the verses.

Actually, I first learned this study method from Ruth Beechick. She calls it the "Natural Method" taught by Charlotte Mason and used by Benjamin Franklin and others in learning how to write English prose and so on. Artists also use the method via copying other artists as part of their studies.

Now I wish to find time to learn the word for word meanings for all the Vaisnava prayers we sing or say in our deity worship every day.