Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Peepul, a Sacred Tree

I've worshiped the sacred Tulasi tree daily for years and years. And I lived under a huge banyan tree once. Banyans are also considered holy. And it wasn't too long ago that I had heard about a special "peepul tree" residing at the most sacred spot, Radha Kunda.

Well, I learned recently "peepul" is another name for banyan or asvattha tree. Wikipedia says:

"Ficus religiosa or sacred fig is a species of fig native to the Indian subcontinent,[2] and Indochina.[3] It belongs to the Moraceae, the fig or mulberry family. It is also known as the bodhi tree,[4] pippala tree, peepul tree,[2] peepal tree or ashwattha tree (in India and Nepal )"

So when I was told there was a peepul tree nearby the place we are now living, I got excited; I immediately went to search it out. It helped that I noticed a young Indian man walking by and thenpaying respects to a tree a few yards away from where I was sitting while taking a break from my search. Then I noticed flowers and also burnt ghee lamps at the base of the tree. Krishna's mercy, I had found the holy peepul tree! Or banyan. Or asvattha. Whatever you prefer to call it.




The Nectar of Devotion says: "In the Skanda Purana it is directed that a devotee should offer water to the tulasi plant and the amalaki trees. He should offer respect to the banyan tree (asvattha)...These processes will help the devotee to diminish the reactions to his past sinful activities."




Hare Krishna

The mataji who told me about this tree also said she goes to pay respects and waters it like every new moon day or on special occasion.