Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Collected Prayers

Prabhupada wrote: "According to great learned scholars, the whole Bhagavad-gitä contains many authorized prayers, especially in the Eleventh Chapter, where Arjuna prays to the universal form of the Lord. Similarly, in the Gautamiya-tantra all the verses are called prayers. Again, in Srimad-Bhägavatam there are hundreds of prayers to the Lord. So a devotee should select some of these prayers for his recitation." NOD9

One may wish to collect their favorites. Here's a sampling of my own:

"O Lord of Madhu, as the Ganges forever flows to the sea without hindrance, let my attraction be constantly drawn unto You without being diverted to anyone else." SB 1.8.42

“My Lord, I know that young girls have natural affection for young boys, and that young boys have natural affection for young girls. I am praying at Your lotus feet that my mind may become attracted unto You in the same spontaneous way.” NOD 9

“O my Lord, I do not have any love for You, nor am I qualified for discharging devotional service by chanting and hearing. Nor do I possess the mystic power of a Vaisnva, knowledge or pious activities. Nor do I belong to a very high-caste family. On the whole, I do not possess anything. Still, O beloved of the gopis, because You bestow Your mercy on the most fallen, I have an unbreakable hope that is constantly in my heart. That hope is always giving me pain." Madya 23.29

“O Lord of the poor, do what you like with me, give me either mercy or punishment, but in this world I have none to look to except Your Lordship. The cätaka bird always prays for the cloud, regardless of whether it showers rains or throws a thunderbolt.”--Srila Rupa Goswami

“O Lord, no one is more merciful than You, and no one is more pathetic than I. I am very low and fallen. O Lord Yadunath, please reflect on my case and do to me whatever is appropriate.

“I have no goal in life, and I have committed countless sins. O Lord Hari, O Murari, You are my shelter. O Madhusudana, O Vasudeva, O Vishnu, all glories to You. O Jagadisa, please protect me, please protect me.

“We are not poets. We are not logicians. We are not philosophers who have crossed to the farther shores of Vedanta. We are not eloquent debaters. We are the servants of a rascal cowherd boy.” --Sri Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya

"Gurudeva, give to this servant just one drop of mercy. I am lower than a blade of grass. Give me all help. Give me strength. Let me be as you are, without desires or aspirations. I offer you all respects, for thus I may have the energy to know you correctly. Then, by chanting the holy name in great ecstasy, all my offenses will cease.

"When will such mercy fall to this one who is weak and devoid of intelligence? Allow me to be with you.

"If you examine me, you will find no qualities. Your mercy is all that I am made of. If you are not merciful unto me, I can only weep, and I will not be able to maintain my life.---Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna he
Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna he
Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna raksha mäm
Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna Krishna pähi mäm
räma räghava räma räghava räma räghava raksha mäm
Krishna Keshava Krishna Keshava Krishna Keshava pähi mäm
“O Lord Räma, descendant of King Raghu, please protect Me. O Krishna, O Keshava, killer of the Kesi demon, please maintain Me.”--Madya 7.96

"O Lord, we pray that You let us be born in any hellish condition of life, just as long as our hearts and minds are always engaged in the service of Your lotus feet, our words are made beautiful [by speaking of Your activities] just as tulasi leaves are beautified when offered unto Your lotus feet, and as long as our ears are always filled with the chanting of Your transcendental qualities."--SB 3.15.49

“If You like that I shall again take birth, it doesn’t matter. My only request is that if I have to take my birth, please kindly give me the chance of taking my birth in a devotee’s house. I don’t mind if I am born as an insect, but I must be in the house of a devotee. I do not like non-devotee life. Even if I am born a Lord Brahma I want to remain with the devotees. I want such devotee who doesn’t care for material happiness or spiritual liberation I simply desire to be associated with such pure devotees. Now, henceforward You are my father, Your are my brother, You are my daughter, You are my son, You are m Lord, You are my spiritual master, You are my husband, everything You are. My Lord, Kana-Krsna, You are the lover of Radharani, but You are my life and soul, kindly give me protection!"--Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

Keeping me blindfolded
In this arena of the mundane world,
O Hari! You ask me to catch You.
Hurling a blow on me, You tell with a smile
“Well here is My touch,
That you have been asking for.”

I have reached for You, in futile efforts,
Just to be harassed.
You have always stayed close to me
While maintaining a distance.
Despite being so near and dear to me
You have always remained a stranger.

My days are waning,
When will You stop Your game?
You indulge in cruel sports and it frightens me.
I am incapable of catching You.
I admit my defeat.
Now undo my blindfold
And unfold Yourself to me,
O Diffuser of Distress.
--author unknown, translated from Bengali