Pages

Monday, May 22, 2023

Planting by the Moon

I first heard about planting by the moon from The Farmers Almanac, a long time publication here in the US. There are different activities recommended for different phases of the moon. And then I learned that it is also according to what astrological sign the moon is transiting at any given date. Here's a sample website that gets into more detail

I did notice a good yield following FA's dates for planting and transplanting. But there was also some difficulties as usual. For example, for about 3 consecutive years, my peas would either rot or disappear, among other things.

Then this year I got the idea to follow a Vedic ephemeris and or panchang instead of the hit and miss version Farmer's Almanac uses. And I must say, this year I had the best crop of peas and green beans ever. Here's the first picking of beans. There were so many I couldn't even pick them all the first day.


Transplants have been a lot more successful too.

 It's interesting to note that when you follow the moon signs, the days for planting and transplanting are often cloudy or overcast and or rainy. But not so rainy that you can't go out and plant. At least you can expect some kind of moisture or coolness that helps a lot. Especially transplants need it. 

Of course, it's not always so regular. It's Kali yuga after all. And so many other factors can weigh in since astrological data can get quite complicated.

 So common sense is still in order, too. For example, one day a transplant might be better off being done towards evening time when the late season sun is cooling down.

In any case, with whatever I've learned, I'm happy with the results so far.