Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

butter homemade

So easy, even a kid can make it. I found that out by observing a friend who taught Sunday school at my old temple. She put cream in a sealed can and let the kids roll it back and forth. Not long afterward there was butter instead of cream.

At home, I have been getting unhomogenized fresh cow's milk with the cream at the top. I simply scoop the cream off of each top, put it all in a chilled bowl, and then whip it by hand with a wire whisk. In about 5 minutes, I have butter curds. Make sure to keep whipping the butter until the buttermilk comes out.

These I strain off from the butter milk by wrapping it in a cheese cloth, pressing as much buttermilk out as possible. When I have enough butter, I can make ghee. If I had pasteurized the cream ahead of time, I can just use the butter as is.

If you want pasteurized butter, boil the fresh milk first before allowing it to sit and the cream to rise. I keep it in the fridge after cooling a bit, until ready to skim the cream off the top.

"Regarding duties, the men should be engaged in producing vegetables, tilling the field, taking care of the animals, house construction, etc., and the women shall do the indoor activities: taking care of the children, keeping the temple and kitchen very clean, cooking and churning butter. "- letter, 6/24/69, LA
"And the churning business is for the girls. That will keep your health very nice. Mother Yasodä, the mother of Krsna, just see how exalted she was. Materially, she was rich also. She had many maidservants. Still, she took pleasure in churning.”

LATER NOTE: For making healthier butter called makhan from yogurt, AKA "probiotic" butter, click here: Better Butter and Buttermilk