Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2020

DIY Clothes Starch

I was given an aerosol spray can of clothes starch to iron HDG’s Srila Prabhupada’s clothes each weekend, but I couldn’t stand inhaling that stuff while ironing or the thought of adding yet another can to a landfill. So I did some research and discovered there are several ways you can make your own clothes starch. Cornstarch is often used, and next I will be experimenting with rice water strained from boiled rice. 

Today’s rinsing the clothes in a gallon of water, with cooked and then cooled cornstarch added to it, gave a very nice, crisp finish, as can be seen (but not felt, sorry) in the picture of the shirt on the right, above. I learned about this from a website. Here’s the link, and she gave good reasons why it makes sense to make your own starch. 

And another helpful site that tells about different types of starch you can use is here

I didn’t tell anyone else yet how I’m cutting corners. I just want to see if they notice any difference. If not, my efforts are a success! Also, check out the new iron I got for this service and why.  Hare Krishna Jaya Srila Prabhupada.