Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Ironing

 With my new service of ironing Srila Prabhupada’s clothes , I needed another iron. Fast. That’s because I started noticing stains on the clothes coming from the steam iron I was using(!)

So  I did some investigation to see how to prevent that and the simplest idea was to get a better iron, one of those pre-steam irons like my mother used to use.




In other words, note the smooth surface. There are no steam holes that can leak annoying mineral deposits on clothing! And you can easily supply your own steam by first misting the cloth with a spray bottle of regular water. No more having to buy distilled water!

You cannot but these “dry irons” in stores. I looked. My appreciation for online shopping improved when I found what I was looking for on EBay. A similar iron cost over $50 and the EBay one was a better price, longer cord, free shipping...plus I got the iron in two days. Pretty nice. I just hope it can stand the test of time. 

(LATER NOTE: It only lasted six months! 😞)

(LATER LATER NOTE: After sitting on a shelf for a couple months, I decided to give it another try, and what a nice surprise! It again works perfectly! 🙂🙂🙂 Another thing I noticed, second time around, is that it presses clothes better because it’s heavy in comparison to the substitute iron I was using last couple months. 🙂 )

(LATER LATER LATER  NOTE: I discovered the reason the iron wasn’t working was a problem with the electric cord shorting out. So I followed the following  video to repair it:

Used small wire nuts so everything fit. Now the iron is as good as new, thank Krishna.)

The only other think to watch out for is starch build up if you starch the clothes. This is easy though, just wash the cool iron with soap and water after using starch. 

ONE MORE NOTE: I found out I can get by with less starch. Problem solved. 🙂 Hare Krishna AGTSP