Pages

Saturday, December 08, 2018

More More Cooking Tips

Continued from the following posts: Part I and Part II

SAVING WHEY
We have a daily abundance from both yogurt and paneer making. Instead of throwing it away, a lot of suggested uses can be found on the Internet. So far it's being used around here in chapati and pizza doughs and for making biscuits. Another favorite is blending  whey with bananas, roasted nuts and cardomom to make a smoothie. Also it's good for thinning out soups and replacing the water in a rice with vegetables. Not good cooking dahl in because the acid makes it cook slowly if not at all. So it's added at the end when dahl is soft. And whey is not so good with plain rice, but better tasting with rice with vegies and spices. I've also been experimenting with it as a hair wash combined with powdered herbs.
LATER NOTE: We're planning on purchasing a glass pitcher to store whey and buttermilk in because we heard that storing acidic foods in plastic containers is not so good.

PEA SPROUTS
New discovery! I noticed how soaked chickpeas stored in the fridge start to sprout after a few days, so I decided to try these hard, dried green peas that take forever to cook otherwise. Here I used them just when they started to sprout by adding to the cooking of Krishna's rice. I bet they'd also be good left raw for a sacrificial offering of salad (I don't just "cook" anymore, I prepare "offerings for sacrifice"). I left the remainder in the fridge to see how far they'll sprout in the fridge. No fuss. No need to add water everyday. I just check on them maybe once a day which also lets a little air in the plastic container. Since I don't like to offer frozen peas and fresh peas are hard to get at this location, they are the next best thing

STEAM IT! This it the way to prepare taro root quickly and easily and itch free: Carefully cut in halves, touching the outside skin only(!) Then steam it for about 20 minutes. The skin will come right off while holding it in a stream of cold water (unless you have the patience to let it cool first) and the inner flesh is now safe to handle. Chop and use as needed in soups and subjis.
TO BE CONTINUED