Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

olive oil lamp




This little lamp came in handy this evening after a major power outage. Gave a bright, steady light.

DIY Olive Oil Lamp

I used an old candle holder and filled it part way with olive oil (I've tried soybean oil before this, but it gave off a strong odor). I made my wick from a strip of an old 100% cotton dhoti and twisted it, soaked it in salt water and dried it. For wire, I used an extra long piece of wire from the grocery store that was used to hold a bunch of broccoli together. I burned the paper off of it first and let it cool before handling.

It burns slowly and well. For more light, I just pull up more wick. Only problem may be getting whats labeled 100% pure olive oil but is mixed with low grade oils by the manufacturer anyway. In any case, use oil lamps in a well ventilated area.